15 March 2011

Sacrifice and Judgement

Running is not easy. Don't ever let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise.

Today I came to the realization that being a runner means learning to live with sacrifice. I was presented with an amazing opportunity that I had to turn down, because it interfered with my running. This got me thinking - what do runners sacrifice for this sport? And the more I thought about it, the more I realized how truly dedicated we are to be able to give up so much for something we love.

  • Runners sacrifice our time - the time we spend obsessing over the sport each day - planning workouts and meals, studying the weather forecast. There are the hours we spend training each day. The weekends we travel for races. The days we spend recovering. 
  • Runners sacrifice money. Shoes are not cheap. Neither is all of the technical gear we pile on each day. And race fees can require their own savings account.
  • Runners sacrifice sleep. Sure, it would be nice to spend time in my warm, inviting bed, but the pavement calls to me.
  • Runners sacrifice our bodies. The sport is not easy on us as human beings. We test our bodies, taking them to the extreme limits of their thresholds, and then push even further. We run through the pain, even when we know we shouldn't.
  • Runners sacrifice our pride. There is nothing less dignifying than running, than getting out there and sweating. And it hurts to know we are not the fastest one out there. That we are not the best. Or that we didn't give it our personal best.
  • Runners sacrifice our fears. Running can be scary. Fear of the unknown, fear of failure.
  • Runners sacrifice our logic. Common sense tells us we were not meant to run. There is a little voice in the back of our heads, telling us we can't do it. That we should stop. That we will never make it. That we aren't good enough. But we learned long ago to just tune that voice out - never listen to it - ever.

Runners are also subject to constant judgement. In my experience as a runner, I have dealt first hand with the true meaning of sacrifice and judgement. While my peers are partying each weekend at the bars, I drink Gatorade, make it home at a (somewhat) reasonable hour, and wake up early to log miles. I have been judged many times - judged for not drinking alcohol while training, judged when I DID drink alcohol while training, judged because my body was "too thin" or "too muscular," judged because I would rather spend my time dedicated to practicing my sport - and it hurts to be judged for something that brings me so much joy.

But what we have to remember is when others judge us because we are runners, they are probably only showing their own true fears - fears that they could never succeed as well as we have, that they could never show the dedication with which we operate, that they could not sacrifice all that we have given up.

But in the end, is the sacrifice worth the reward?
And the answer is of course a resounding "YES!"

Sure, I was bummed this morning to have to pass up an opportunity, but when I stopped to think about it, I would rather give up this single chance than miss the chance of a lifetime to keep running. Do not let others change you because you are a runner. It will require sacrifice, and you might be judged, but it is worth it. Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.

No comments:

Post a Comment