29 September 2011

Tears of Joy

A few weeks ago I raced in the Columbus Great Prostate Cancer Challenge - Dash for Dad 5K. And it was an awesomely amazing experience!


My father is a prostate cancer survivor, and my mother has worked in the medical field for 31+ years helping to fight against this disease. So needless to say this race really hit home and meant more to me than any other run I have ever completed. And being the girl that I am - naturally I cried during the event.

Sure I have cried during races before. I cried during DC. I cry at almost every race when I cross the Finish Line (always brings tears of joy!) And this race was no exception. The main difference: it was also the first time I ever cried before the race even started. Let me explain.

Early on a beautiful Sunday morning I made my way towards the course's starting point. I only got lost once (silly GPS) but a nice lady gave me directions (after a police officer had given me incorrect directions.) Walking up to the arch made of light blue and white balloons I was filled with lots of different emotions. I was excited and nervous - as I get before the start of every race - but I was also a little bit lonely. My father's cancer played such a major role in my life and this awful disease has affected so many people across the world. I wished for nothing more than to have my family by my side but I knew that it just couldn't happen. I knew I was racing in representation and celebration of the ones I love so much. I even made a bib that I pinned on the back on my shirt to share my feelings with others. (I got lots of compliments throughout the race!) I also wore my prostate cancer awareness pin on my chest. The pin is engraved with the word "daVinci" which is the name of the robot that performed my father's surgery. Keeping it close to the heart.


As we all lined up the event coordinator hopped on the microphone and gave us some directions regarding the course and safety precautions. Then he handed it over to a prostate cancer survivor to share a few words. This is when I lost it. My eyes brimmed with tears and I definitely got choked up. It was a beautiful morning and I was surrounded by so many amazing people - all there fighting for the same cause. And I knew that many many miles away (he happened to be in Brazil that particular day) that my loving father is alive and well and has beat that battle with cancer. So very very blessed.


And then I raced. I ran my little heart out. We ran through a suburban part of the city weaving in and out of neighborhoods and only spent a few moments on a major roadway. I ran and ran and ran. Doin' it and doin' it and doin' it well. One HUGE aspect that definitely kept me going was my music. I created a special "Dad" playlist on my iPod that made me feel extra inspired to keep moving. It featured songs that are special to me and my father, or songs that remind me of him and my family. Read below for the complete list of songs.

J'en ai marre - Alizee
Baby Girl - Sugarland
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something
Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel
Elvis Ain't Dead - Union of Sound
Hey, Soul Sister - Train
Hey Jude - The Beatles

This music kept me motivated and encouraged me to continue even when I wanted to stop. One of my main goals for this particular race was to break 30 minutes. And I came SO close. I knew that I had lined up my song playlist perfectly to end with The Beatles "Hey Jude." The part that starts with the "na na na" hit perfectly - right as I turned the corner up the final stretch to the end. As the Finish Line came in sight I amped it up - only to see 30:00 tick past on the time clock. I just missed it and didn't make my goal time. But I kicked it out all the way through and finished just after with a still awesome time!

I ran back under the arch of balloons, was handed a bottle of water and stumbled over out of the way to catch my breath. One thing I had struggled with for much of the race - and took me a little while to recover from post-race - was the fact that I had begun crying so early on during the event. I was physically and emotionally choked up and that led to more difficulty catching my breath. But recover I did. And then I made my way back past the Finish Line and helped to cheer on other runners and walkers as they completed the race.


It was a fantastic experience in which I am so happy to have participated. My family, we are some of the lucky ones. My dad is still here and shares his love with us each and every day. I was so happy to be able to celebrate his survival and the many many more happy years to come!

Note: the first song on my playlist is in French. I do not know what it means nor the translation. I do not speak French. Neither does my father. But he loves this song anyways. Oh, well!

No comments:

Post a Comment