04 April 2011

Timing is Everything

With a new Half PR behind me, it's time to start looking towards my next upcoming race - Cincinnati's Flying Pig Marathon! Last year's Pig was my first 26.2 mile run. (And what an experience it was! I'll have to dedicate an entire post to that story!) I have just under a month left before the big day and I think it is time to begin planning my pacing.

I've never been one to enter into a race with a particular finish time in mind. Usually my goals are to simply run as fast as possible with the hopes to potentially set a new PR while keeping in mind that I don't want to crawl across the finish line. And since I am perpetually always preparing for that next race, I also need to be able to recover quickly and get back out there to keep training. But I have recently come across some great pieces that have started to educate me about how I can be smarter when it comes to planning the pace timing of my runs.

I definitely have to give a big THANKS to Meggie for both of the following links. Meggie is a friend of my cousin, and although we have never met, I have become an avid follower of her running blog. She recently posted both of these links and I think they are very helpful to those of us trying to determine the right pace for race day.

The first strategy is called Yasso 800's.  Never heard of Bart Yasso? He is an amazing runner with absolutely fascinating stories, and I was fortunate to meet Bart and hear him speak a few weeks ago. Shortly after his lecture, I found the post about his 800's theory. The training involves running timed intervals and can help runners gauge a predictable finish time. Here's how it works:

Determine a desired finish time for your marathon. For example, if your aim is to run a 4 hour marathon (a little too ambitious for this girl!) you train by running a series of 800 meters (1/2 mile) each in 4:00 minutes. Between each of the 800 meters, recover by jogging for the same time it took you to run the 800 meters. So in this example, try to run 1/2 mile in 4 minutes, then jog slowly for 4 minutes. Then you repeat. The concept is to begin the 800's early in your training, perhaps repeating the run-series 4 times. Eventually your aim is to be able to repeat the series 10 times at your given goal pace. So if you are able to build up to completing 10 Yasso 800's at 4 minutes each, you can complete a marathon in 4 hours. Here's a Runner's World article that gives further detail to Bart's timing training. Personally I have not yet been able to complete the Yasso 800's challenge, and I am probably a little bit closer to my race date than would be ideal to begin training in this manner, but I still find this method extremely helpful and thought-provoking. I think it makes great sense and plan on completing a few of these workouts (maybe not quite getting up to 10 repeats) before the Pig..

The second tool is the MARCO strategy. It is an online calculator that helps to target a realistic finish time and ideal pace by mile to help you finish the race and set a new PR. The calculation requires that you complete a 10K or half marathon approximately 6 weeks before your marathon. Ideally your time should be recorded under race or competition conditions. (Remember that on race day you have to deal with things like crowds that you may not have encountered during your daily training runs.) You enter your completion time and maximum heart rate (the calculation for figuring this out is given on the web-site) and then your racing pace is calculated for you. It's as simple as that!

Here's the MARCO Strategy defined from the web-site and an example calculation.

"Start slowly, pass later, and you will be rewarded with your best finish time."

A wide-spread competition strategy of many hobby runners is: "I would rather run a little faster at the beginning, so that I have a little extra time later on. This puts me on the safe side and my target finish time is practically guaranteed." But this simple strategy hardly ever works. Instead, it is better to use the MARCO strategy and to begin your marathon with "controlled ease" in the first few kilometers or miles, because a slow start and budgeting your own resources are important for achieving your target finish time or your personal record.

The MARCO strategy takes the following into consideration:

  • Your personal performance level
  • Your fat and carbohydrate metabolism
  • Your aerobic heart frequency range
  • Your energy deposits

Used correctly, MARCO strategy will ensure that you do not suffer any setbacks over the entire course of the marathon. For most runners, this is an unachievable dream, because many have long ago accepted that the last kilometers (or miles) are always extremely difficult. This is puzzling, because a marathon without setbacks is a fast marathon.

Here's the Example Calculation
[I input a half-marathon finish of 02:00:00 for a person at 30 years of age.]
It really breaks it down for you mile-by-mile in simple terms with helpful tips!

So there you have it. Hopefully these will spark some thought into adding new spice in your pacing strategy. As with anything in life, these ideas should be taken with a grain of salt - apply your own theory and logic to challenge the above concepts. Determine what works FOR YOU! 
Here's to hoping for a perfectly timed race in the very near future!


Now. This is my time. And I'm going to make this moment mine.
I shouldn't have wasted those days.
I'll take what you give me. Please know that I'm learning.
I've looked in the mirror. My world's getting clearer.
So wait for me this time.
One of my all-time favorite songs. Ever. Too slow for a running play list, but an absolutely amazing message.

No comments:

Post a Comment